Code of Practice for Parents/Guardians
Bagshot Lawn Tennis Club is fully committed to safeguarding and promoting the well being of all its members and junior players attending the club. The club believes it is important that members, coaches, administrators and parents / guardians associated with the club should, at all times, show respect and understanding for the safety and welfare of others. We would therefore ask you to abide by the following code of practice:
1. Ensure the coach is present before leaving your child/ren for a lesson. The club cannot be held responsible for unforeseen circumstances that prevent the coach from arriving on time.
2. Younger children will not be released at the end of a lesson unless a parent/guardian/nominate adult is there to collect them at the entry/exit gate to the court.
3. Encourage your child to learn the rules of tennis and play with them.
4. Never force your child to take part in sport.
5. Support your child’s involvement and help them to enjoy their sport.
6. Use correct and proper language at all times.
7. Be patient. Steady progression is unusual in children; peaks and plateaus are common.
8. Help your child to recognise good performance, not just results.
9. Allow your child to play in the mini tennis colour stage appropriate to them. This will ensure they enjoy playing the game, develop their skills and gain confidence.
10. Discourage unfair play and arguing with officials.
11. Set a good example by recognising fair play and applauding the good performances of all.
12. Never punish or belittle a child for losing or making mistakes.
13. Publicly accept judgements made by officials.
14. At no stage should you communicate with your child or interfere with them in a match.